Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Week 8(Nov 18, 2011): Sister Somu from Cambodia

Dear family,

How was your week? I hope you are all doing well! This week was really good and just jammed packed with things to do, which is great. Ahh so many things I want to write about - I will just start from the beginning of the week.

Last Sunday we had a really good devotional from a Brother Heaton who is the administrating director and coordinator for all the MTC. Anyways, his talk was about tithing and how we can and should teach this law more effectively by the Spirit. I wrote some others things about his talk in your letter :) After his talk, every sunday night we have the chance to watch a church video (either the Joseph Smith movie, Legacy, or The Testiments) OR a bunch of other recordings of different talks by different apostles and prophets. Our district stayed to watch Legacy. Every time anyone kisses or anything, the whole gym errupts as all of the Elders start whistling and stuff. I don't think President Brown, our Mission president here at the MTC likes it very much!

Oh and I forgot to tell you! From our very first week in the MTC, we are expected to have prepared a talk for that upcoming talk... in our mission language!! Ah! And then Bishop stands up and announces who the speakers will be, so you don't even know until like two seconds before! Great prep for the mission thought... I now have almost six or seven talks ready if I ever need to give a talk that was unplanned!

I met this really sweet sister from Cambodia the other day, Sister Somu (right next to India, no? how neat is that?). The Lord has his hand in our lives, guiding and directing us all of the time. Meeting her was a tender mercy- she had such a strong testimony. She has already left for temple square, but was living on my floor. When she was just sixteen or seventeen, she met the missionaries and was baptized. She told them later that she wanted to cut her hair like a boy so that she could serve a mission too, just like them! They don't send sisters to Cambodia, so she had never seen a sister missionary! I wish I could write everything that she said, but she has basically given up almost everything to come and serve a mission because she knows without a doubt that we are each children of God and we each need to hear and follow our Father in Heaven's plan. Humble life reaps humble and faithful people.
When she had her interview with her mission president, he and his wife asked if she was nervous. She said, "I am not nervous! I am not going to be alone!" They looked a little confused and then she said, "I have the Holy Ghost with me... always!". ( I am sending you a picture of her later :)

Oh and guess what else... Heavenly Father let me see Carly and Nataly today!! Car was working in the foyer of the MTC because she was workign on grounds crew for BYU and Nataly and her Mom were in the temple. Oh my goodness... it was such a blessing to see them and get hugs and get to talk to people that I love so much.

Oh and guess what else? WE GOT OUR TRAVEL PLANS LAST NIGHT!!!!!! I am leaving the MTC for the airport on the 28th at 10 am and my flight takes off at 2 or 2:30 that afternoon. I will write you more about my travel plans in my letter, but I am soo excited!!! Grandpa, we have a four hour layover in SauPaulo, Brazil, so I bought a Portugese Book of Mormon today. Keep in your prayers taht I will: 1. find someone that can kinda understand my spanish! and 2. that needs and is prepared for our message of the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ!!!! I will arrive in Paraguay and be with my mission president around two or four pm your time the next day!!!!! yippeeee!

Family, I absolutly love being a missionary. I know that the true Gospel of Jesus Christ has been restored. I am so grateful for the opportunity that I have to share and teach and help others to come unto Christ. I am trying to do as much as I can so that I can be worthy of His Spirit to lead and direct me to teach each and every moment. I love you all... so very much. Serving a mission for the Lord is so far the next to biggest blessing in my life (the first being my family). I know that our Savior and Father in Heaven love us. And that is enough for me. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

I love you all. So much.

con mucho amor,

Hermana Natasha Jones!

No comments:

Post a Comment